Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jingle Bell Run AND Walk

Yesterday I headed down with my family to pick up my race packet for the Jingle Bell Run/Walk.  I had already decided I wasn't going to do the actual event, but I wanted my shirt!  But as we were driving downtown, I started feeling guilty for not completing it just because it was going to be cold.  I asked my son if he wanted to complete a 5K with me. "You get a shirt" I said.  "How long is a 5K?" he wanted to know.  I said it was longer than the 2 mile walk we completed in June, but not much longer.  "Okay."  He was in!  We picked up my bib and shirt and got my son registered (with a late fee).  Unfortunately, they didn't have anymore shirts, but they gave us a ticket to pick one up at the race or have one ordered, depending on supplies.  That was a bit of a bummer, but what are you gonna do?  Luckily he didn't change his mind about the event and back out on me!

I'm proud to say my son and I completed the 5K in 52:23.  We stayed fairly warm except our legs were a little frozen, the temperature was hovering around 30 degrees.  We basically walked the whole way, but it's okay (his running training begins soon--ha ha!)  I was very glad and excited to have my son with me.  It was a fun event, lots of costumes and bells.  Everyone was given bells for their shoes and lots of people were adorned with much larger, louder bells.  Here we are before we left the house.

My son did end up getting a shirt, however, instead of waiting to have one mailed he opted for the adult medium which is the same size as mine.  It's a little big on him.  I'm excited about the shirt, the long sleeve style is great and I love the artwork!!  Here we are modeling after we came home.

Since the event became a Jingle Bell 5K Walk, I still had a run to complete when I got home.  So I headed out (with another layer on my legs) and ran a 5K.  Here I am after my Jingle Bell Run--note the Bondi Band for the occasion.

All in all, I'd say it was a fabulously successful day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you ended up going out and running it. Bet it felt great when you were done!!!!!!!